12 July 2015

My Hutch

A few years ago and while we were living in Lufkin, my parents brought me a China hutch. It belonged to my dads parents and I'm sure he grew up with it and has fond memories with it. It had long been used as school room storage and had many bumps and other marks of family use and age. We had it in our dining room in Lufkin as dish, tablecloth, card game and random papers storage. 
When we bought our current home we knew exactly where to put it. 
We don't have a dining room like we did in Lufkin which is just fine since that square footage is put to better use in this house. We put the hutch in that open walkway as you enter the house. I knew I wanted my Fiestaware to go in it but I needed it to be more exciting and fresh.


So we painted it! 



Only the parts that sanding is obviously done, it hadn't been touched. You can see how best up and in need of love it was. 


Once all the sanding was done, I wanted to keep some natural wood so we stained the main flat part very dark... Black. 


I though coral would be a good color at first so the Fiestaware would stand out but it was too light and too pink. We're going for a statement piece here so we took an orange fiesta plate to Home Depot and color matched it. 
In the beginning we were discussing what to do about hardware and ideas like new hardware, spray painting the original gold, and sanding down the original till it was shiny brass came up but it was never finalized. When it came down to it, the original without doing anything to it was best. 


My parents just left yesterday after being here for a week and I think they liked it... As much as a person could like something that they love be finished in a way they don't love by someone they do love. 

I think the thing that matters is that I love it. It's in my house and I'm using it and I love it. It's beautiful and I put a lot of work into it. 


In other news, Little Brother is close to walking... But not walking.
Honey jumped in the pool without holding anyone's hand.
GoodLooking has a beard.
I have a tube in my ear and am doing allergy testing on Thursday.