04 November 2010
Pitifull
The other day, I made breaded ranch chicken (kind of my own recipe) and I was very upset at how big the piece of chicken was that I bought and how little itty bitty the piece was that came out of the oven. Sometimes, I wish that I lived on a farm and I could pick out a well-endowed chicken and butcher it myself. That way, I wouldn’t have to deal with the hormones that chickens eat today, it wouldn’t be injected or “glazed” with water then frozen and shipped to other states, AND I could sell some to other semi-health conscience consumers like myself. But then I think, could I handle cutting off its head, plucking all it’s feathers, and reaching in the rip out insides. I don’t live in an area where that would be acceptable (gotta love apartments!) so I am stuck buying enhanced chicken that shrinks about 50% (not even exaggerating).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have plucked chickens before, and cut their heads off. Trust me, you do not want to go that route.
Cmon now... you live in the LAND of chicken. you have "Fried Chicken N waffles" for instance... So go to your local big box store - the evil big "W" and look for a whole "all Natural" chicken. Great prices on Whole chickens because nobody wants to go through the effort of slicing and dicing. I love Whole chickens! So much of a better value. You get a lot of meat out of one and then you can boil all the leftovers and freeze or can the chicken stock. Homemade stock is WAY better! It takes a little more effort and time but its way healthier and worth the effort.
If you really want to try this, we could accommodate you during the holidays!! I will NOT be there to watch as I think it would make me not want to eat it. BUT you're sure welcome to give it a whack!!
Post a Comment